Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Back on the Bandwagon and I'm Bringing Barbecued Chicken Pizza

I'm back on the bandwagon, and I've got yummy stuff to share. While senior year is slowly but surely eating me alive teaching me valuable skills in anger/stress management and forcing me to revert to 5-year old tantrums when presented with stressful situations i.e. the real world and my English thesis, it is also a lot of fun. My seven girlfriends and I are lucky enough to live in a house off-campus, which is fantastic for theme parties but not so much for cooking. Our kitchen, even when clean, is home to roughly 67,000 solo cups and a sad, kind of broken faucet. However, where there is a will, there is a way. And the beauty of having other friends with nicer kitchens around campus is that I am always welcome as long as I can cook!
To be honest, I'm not the hugest fan of barbecued...anything. I know that sounds terrible but I'm a New England girl and I've just never caught the BBQ bug. I always find myself wishing that BBQ sauce would just decide whether it wanted to be sweet or sour or spicy or salty. However, when cooking for males, BBQ is almost foolproof. I even found myself surprised by how tasty this was, and the flavors couldn't be better together. Pizza is easy and fun to make, and generally a crowd pleaser. However, I find it pretty difficult to find anything tasty in the store-bought tomato sauce department, which led me to the idea of making this bad boy.
Ingredients (serves 2, especially if 1 is really hungry, with leftovers)
  • 1 Boboli pre-made pizza crust
  • 3 Chicken breasts
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 cup Shredded Cheese (I used Mexican for a little extra spice to complement the tomatoes and cilantro)
  • 1 cup Cilantro
  • 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1.5 cups Jack Daniels Honey Smokehouse BBQ sauce (you can use any kind for this
Instructions
  • Lay the crust out on a counter or other surface, preheat oven to 450
  • Heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil at medium high on a frying pan. Add chicken breasts after 2 min, allow 2 min on each side.
  • While oven is heating and chicken is cooking, dice red onion and halve the cherry tomatoes.
  • Place .5 cup of the BBQ sauce into a tupperware container. Remove the chicken from the stove, shred it with a knife and fork, and place the shredded chicken into the tupperware. Cover the tupperware and shake for ~15 seconds so that chicken is fully covered in sauce.
  • Spread a generous layer of BBQ sauce on the crust, and sprinkle the cheese over it.
  • Add the shredded chicken and red onions to the crust, sprinkle a bit more cheese on top, and bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes.
  • Remove the crust and add tomatoes and cilantro. Finish with a last dash of BBQ sauce.
What's your favorite non-tomato sauce based pizza? Dying to try other alternatives to the jar-sauce boredom. Also- I didn't add avocado to this but I bet it would've been delicious. 





No comments:

Post a Comment